Friday, July 13, 2012

Lira Integrated Boarding School


On Wednesday after we met with the street kids, we later went to Lira Integrated Boarding School. This is another place where we are implementing the peace clubs. There are about 30 kids here that fall into Children of Peace’s target group of being abducted, former child soldiers, born in captivity, or child-mothers (gave birth in the bush due to being raped by the rebels).

I am so thankful that my fabulous friend and fear-less leader taught me about “Flex Pills” on my very first trip to Africa in 2010. You never know what the day will hold, and even though you have an agenda and a time schedule to follow, sometimes it just doesn’t happen! We were supposed to have an hour with these kids, but we arrived a bit late, had to meet with the headmaster and then it took awhile for all the kid to get to us. So we ended up only have an half an hour.

But it was a good start to the Empower Program. We spent time explaining what the Empower Program was and the various activities that we will be doing with them.

Since we didn’t have a whole lot of time, I thought it would be good for them to decide as a group what they wanted the rules to be. It is so interesting to me, because in my mind I think about what former kids in my groups back in America have said or done during some of these activities.... and it is so interesting to compare the differences! As they began to list what rules they wanted so that they all felt safe to open up and share I was floored. Here is what they came up with:

1.    Time Management

2.    Cooperation

3.    Discipline

4.    Love one another

5.    Obedience

6.    Respect one another

7.    Forgive one another

8.    Be open to share

9.    What is said in group, stays in group

10.  Have Fun!!!!

We will start trust and team building activities with them on Saturday!


No comments:

Post a Comment