Sunday, July 8, 2012

Grace


Today was my favorite day so far since I have been here in Lira. When my day is packed full of meeting, loving, hugging, praying and encouraging….then I am energized! Yes, it is outwardly exhausting, but my heart overflows and this is why I love being here so much. I allowed myself to break for the first time today. I realized that I have not cried in a few weeks (crazy I know!) and I continually felt the tears well up in my eyes and I had to push them down until I was alone. It has been so neat for me to see God direct my heart and steps with the different people that we have been meeting and working with. So often, well almost all the time, I always gravitate towards the children. This is where I am comfortable; this is what I am used to. But for some reason, the single mothers of Teso Bah have completely grabbed my heart.

 I struggle to even put words to how amazed I am by these women. They live in the slums of Lira and have very little. Most of the women take care of 3 or more children alone, most not even their own. This is what I love. They take in the kids who have lost both of their parents due to the LRA, either their relatives or friends. They work so hard to try and give them a place to sleep and some food. Most of the kids cannot attend school because the mothers cannot afford to pay for their school fees….those that are fortunate enough to go never know when it might be their last day, because the money might not be there.

 I can’t even imagine. Can you? Would you be able to wake up every day and forge ahead, doing what needs to be done to feed the children when you have lost so much? Yes, I am sure we could dig deep into our souls and find the strength….but doing it alive? Feeling alive? Feeling empowered, beautiful and strong?

 They laugh, they smile and they sing. However, there are some, that when I look into their eyes I can see the pain in their soul. Grace. Her name is Grace….so fitting. The LRA came into her village and abducted three of her children. Two girls and one boy. That same day they also killed her husband.

 One of her girls, Jennifer, has returned. I asked “how was it possible that she escaped without her siblings?” Once the LRA figures out that they have a group of siblings they immediately separate them into different groups. They fear that if they keep them together it is easier for them to make plans to escape. Can you imagine? Not only have you just been taken from your mother and father, but now you are forced to leave your brother or sister. You are alone.

 The other two have not returned. I am confident that Grace still believes that they are alive and begging God to bring them back to her. 9 years. 9 years she has been waiting.

 Grace has two additional children and including Jennifer takes care of 3 of her biological children as well as two little ones (still unclear as to their identification). She works at the market, selling what she can to make whatever little money possible.  There is such depth in her eyes. She has lived through so much. Soon I will hear more of her story and record a message from her that she would like to tell the world. She has a voice and she has a story that needs to be heard.

 Trusting and believing in God’s great plan for all of these women.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing......love to hear what you are seeing out "there" as I sit "here" and write from my chair in American. Glad you are touching people and painting a picture for others to see.

    ReplyDelete