Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Just a Momma and her Boys!


I was having a very difficult time finding joy today (or should I say CHOOSING joy). I was irritable and overwhelmed with all that we were still trying to figure out in planning for the team that is coming from the states on Saturday.

Isn’t it just like our God to see us exactly where we are and to be so kind as to send along a special blessing to pick us up when we need it? We don’t deserve it, I especially didn’t deserve it, yet He loves to shower us with kindness and to ultimately do this so that we once again are reminded that God is in control and all we need to do is rest in Him.

We were driving through town after leaving one of the schools and headed back to Jane’s. We were parked quickly, as someone jumped out to grab something. Someone then pointed out that some of our street kids ( laughing that I just said “our”, yes I am claiming them now) that we work with twice a week at Child Restoration Outreach were walking by. I jumped out and called to them. Immediately, they turned, had huge grins on their faces and came over to greet me. They are able to eat porridge in the mornings and have lunch at CRO, but they are not fed dinner. I asked them if they were hungry (more through sign language and rubbing their bellies) and wanted to go get some food.

I told the others I was with that I was going to hang out with the boys, Bruno and Oscar and go get some food. They drove off and it was the first time I had ever been alone with these boys without a translator (personally, they can be over-rated at times J) I LOVED every second of it! And of course, sweet Jane then calls me after driving off to remind me to keep an eye on my backpack! J

Bruno
We walked through town a bit until we stopped at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant. We ordered three big plates of rice and three big plates of chicken! The boys were ecstatic when I asked them if they wanted a soda and looked like such gentleman as they put their straws in the bottles and sipped their drink!

We were nearly finished with our food, when Bruno and Oscar started yelling out to some other street kids (also from CRO) that were walking by to come over. These boys, who have nothing, immediately began sharing whatever they had left of their food with their friends. Of course, I had to have them join us! “Waitress, three more orders of rice and chicken and soda!”

Oscar
I had no idea what they were talking about…but they were laughing, giggling, making faces, telling jokes….for a moment in time they were able to be children. They could eat trusting that they didn’t have to fight for their food or have it taken from them. I don’t think my smile ever washed from my face the whole time I sat with them…watching, listening, learning. For moment in time, as I looked at all five of them devouring their food, I felt like just a momma and her boys!

They had so much gratitude and many “apoyo’s” (thank you) were exchanged. If only they were able to understand English I would have told them….”no, thank YOU. Yes, I might have bought some dinner for you…but YOU filled my heart tonight. You brought back the joy that was missing. You teach me about strength and perseverance every time I am with you”

Their bellies were all protruding a bit more than before dinner, a sign that they were satisfied. I hugged them all and we parted ways. They were on their way to find a spot to safely sleep for the night. Walking away was a little easier knowing that at least their tummies would not be grumbling and hopefully sleep would come a little bit easier for them tonight.
Solomon, Ochenosen, Suna
As I walked through the town in the dark on my way home, my heart finally felt more alive. How can something that simple, that little… restore such life? Easy….it’s the art of giving. It’s the fact that being a part of something GREATER is what God has intended for our life….and especially for our hearts.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kari, I am in tears reading this! What beautiful boys! I love so much that you spent the evening with them and gave them not only dinner, but a few moments of peace and rest and joy. I LOVE what God is doing there through you! So proud of you, girl!

    ReplyDelete